Kent City Community Schools
Administrative Guidelines


The District has established the following guidelines to home education:

Participation in School

Students who are not in attendance at a District school by reason of home education will be deemed to have withdrawn from enrollment in District schools during the period of home education.



If the home school has met the reporting requirements of the law the student is eligible to attend a District school on a part-time basis in non core-curriculum courses such as band, physical education, art, vocational education, and driver education and may be eligible for auxiliary services.


If that student is also enrolled as a student in the District for noncore-curriculum course, s/he may be eligible to participate in school-sponsored athletic programs or teams (Michigan High School Athletic Association eligibility rules require that a student must be taking twenty (20) hours of academic work toward graduation at the high school) as well as in school-sponsored co-curricular or extra-curricular activities or programs.


If the student is not enrolled in a District school on a part-time basis, s/he may not participate in any of the District co-curricular or extra-curricular activities.



If the home-school has not met the reporting requirements, the student may not participate in any school activities.


The District strongly recommends that the parents maintain a record of the educational program, including assessment of their child's academic progress, as this information will be useful to a school district, should the parents decide to re-enroll their child in a public school. Such an assessment could include:



resources and books used in the course;



courses of study completed;



the number of hours devoted to each course of study;



a portfolio of work done;



examples of tests and test scores;



standardized test scores demonstrating the student's ability.

If the home school has met the reporting requirements, the home-schooled student will be permitted to take any other achievement/ability tests normally given at each grade by the District. This is to be done cost-free but must be done during the regular testing cycle. It is the parent's responsibility to make the appropriate arrangements with the school principal. The District will not pay for any standardized testing of students not enrolled in the school district. The student may take tests such as the PSAT, PLAN, etc. normally given at the high school at the same cost charged District students.

Re-Enrollment in School

If a parent wishes to have his/her child return to a District school, s/he must follow normal enrollment guidelines. The conditions described in AG 5463 - Student Transfer from a Nonpublic School will apply.

In grades 9-12, if the student wishes to enroll, the parent will be asked to provide an academic assessment record for each class taken at home. Such a record will assist the school in making the proper placement. Athletic eligibility will be determined by MHSAA guidelines and District athletic policy.

Use of a performance-enhancing substance by a student is a violation that will affect a student's athletic eligibility and extracurricular participation, as determined by the Board.

Students are encouraged to enroll at the beginning of a semester.

All courses taken at a home school will be given a grade of Pass or Fail (P/F) and transcripts will denote "home education" with P/F grades and "credits" assigned. If a parent wishes to have his/her child return to a District school, s/he must follow normal enrollment guidelines. The conditions described in AG 5463 - Student Transfer from a Nonpublic School will apply. The student's grade of P/F will be based on the school's assessment of the student's knowledge of the subject matter as will his/her grade placement in the school. If a student transfers in from any other type of nonpublic school, transcripts are to denote the courses taken at that school.

The studentís grade-point average, class rank, and eligibility for awards such as Valedictorian or Salutatorian, Distinguished Scholar, National Honor Society, etc. shall be determined in accordance with AG 5430.

If the student wishes to graduate, s/he must meet the requirements as specified in the District's policy on graduation and the high school's graduation guidelines. If the student seeks a State-endorsed transcript, s/he must pass the MEAP High School Tests, Michigan Merit Exam, National Assessment of Educational Progress or other State designated assessment and must meet other requirements of the State.

© Neola 2011