John Glenn School Corporation
Bylaws & Policies


The School Board establishes the following residency policy for determining eligibility to attend the schools of this Corporation.



The Board will educate, tuition free, students who have legal settlement in the Corporation, and students enrolled according to the requirements of I.C. 20-26-11.



Where the legal settlement of a student cannot reasonably be determined and the student is being supported by and living with a person whose residence is within the School Corporation, the student may be enrolled without payment of tuition. If the parents are able to support the student and have placed him/her in the home of another person primarily for the purpose of attending school in this Corporation without establishing legal guardianship as required by Indiana law, tuition may be charged according to Board Policy 6150.



A child who is placed in foster care by a court of competent jurisdiction shall be admitted tuition free, without regard to residency, to a school within the Corporation, as selected by the State Department of Human Services or the child placing agency responsible for placement of that child.



Foreign students participating in a foreign-exchange program approved by the Indiana State Board of Education and living with a resident host family will be admitted tuition free.



The Corporation will provide a free education to those students who are considered by Federal law to be illegal aliens, if the student's parent or legal guardian has legal settlement within the Corporation, or considered to be homeless by criteria established by the State (see Policy 5111.01).



Students who have completed the eleventh grade and have changed legal settlement to another school corporation may complete the twelfth grade in this Corporation.



A married student living with a spouse or an emancipated minor is eligible to attend school without payment of tuition provided s/he resides in the Corporation.



Children of Divorced Parents


Children of divorced parents may attend school in this Corporation without the payment of tuition if one (1) parent resides in this Corporation and a timely election is made utilizing the "Custodial Statement and Agreement: Divorce, Separation, or Abandonment" form provided by the Indiana State Board of Education.


The parent with physical custody of the student or the student, if the student is at least eighteen (18) years of age, must notify the Superintendent of the school corporation in which the parents/student seek to have the student enrolled of their election to enroll the student in the Corporation. The election shall be made on a yearly basis and applies throughout the school year unless the student's parent no longer resides within the attendance area of the Corporation.



A student who has been expelled from another school corporation or who is expelled from a nonpublic school or withdraws from a public or a nonpublic school to avoid expulsion may be enrolled in the Corporation in compliance with I.C. 20-33-8-20 during the actual or proposed expulsion if:



the student's parent informs the Corporation of the student's expulsion or withdrawal to avoid expulsion;



the Corporation consents to the student's enrollment;



the student agrees to the terms and conditions of enrollment established by the Corporation.


Such students may be charged tuition according to Board Policy 6150 if they do not have legal settlement in the Corporation.


If a student's parent fails to inform the Corporation of the expulsion or withdrawal to avoid expulsion or the student fails to follow the terms and conditions of enrollment, the Corporation may withdraw consent and prohibit the student's enrollment during the period of the actual or proposed expulsion. Before consent is withdrawn, the student must be given an opportunity for an informal meeting with the principal. At the informal meeting, the student is entitled to:



a written or verbal statement of the reasons for the withdrawal of consent;



a summary of the evidence against him/her;



an opportunity to explain his/her conduct.



Students whose parents do not have legal settlement within the Corporation but who present evidence that they will move into the Corporation within a short period of time may enroll in the schools of this Corporation as tuition students for the time not in residence.



Students who do not have legal settlement may/will be enrolled in the special education program of this Corporation pursuant to the provisions of a Cooperative agreement.



Nonresident students may be accepted into the Summer School Program provided by this Corporation.

Transfer Students

In addition to students with legal settlement in the Corporation, students without legal settlement in the Corporation (hereafter referred to as "transfer students") will be enrolled in compliance with I.C. 20-26-11-32 and the following procedure:



By August 1, the Board will establish the number of transfer students that can be accepted in each building and grade level.



The Board will establish a date by which requests to enroll a transfer student must be submitted to the Superintendent. This date shall be submitted to the Indiana Department of Education and published on the Corporation Internet website.



Requests to enroll a student without legal settlement in the Corporation shall not be denied if the student to be transferred:



has been enrolled in the Corporation in the prior school year;



is a member of a household in which any other member of the household is a student in the transferee school; or



has a parent who is an employee of the Corporation.



If the number of requests to enroll in each building and grade level exceeds the number established by the Board reduced by the number of transfers that may not be denied as described in paragraph (C) above, the students to be enrolled in each building and grade level shall be determined by random selection in which each application submitted on or before the date established by the Board pursuant to paragraph (A) above has an equal chance of being selected.

Nonpublic School Transfer Student

The Corporation shall accept a transferring student who resides in Indiana and who does not have legal settlement in the Corporation if:



the student attended an accredited nonpublic elementary school located in the attendance area of the Corporation for at least two (2) school years immediately preceding the school year in which the student transfers to a high school in the Corporation under this section;



the student is transferring because the accredited nonpublic school from which the student is transferring does not offer grades 9 through 12;



the majority of the students in the same grade as the transferring student at the accredited nonpublic school have legal settlement in the Corporation and will attend a school under the authority of the Corporation; and



the Corporation has the capacity to accept students.

If the number of students who request to transfer to the Corporation under this section causes the Corporation to exceed its maximum student capacity, the Board shall determine which students will be admitted as transfer students by a random drawing in a public meeting.

Pursuant to State law, , the Board may deny a student’s application to transfer to the Corporation, discontinue enrollment of a transfer student currently attending, rescind approval of a student approved to attend in a subsequent year, or establish terms or conditions for enrollment or for continued enrollment in a subsequent school year, if:



during the preceding twelve (12) months, the student has been suspended or expelled for:



ten (10) or more school days;



possession of a firearm, deadly weapon, or a destructive device;



causing physical injury to a student, school employee or visitor to the school; or



a violation of the Corporation's drug or alcohol rules.



the student has had a history of unexcused absences, and the Board believes that, based upon the location of the student's residence, attendance would be a problem for the student if the student is enrolled in the Corporation.

For purposes of computing the number of days of suspension of the student requesting enrollment, student discipline received from a teacher pursuant to I.C. 20-33-8-25(b)(7) and I.C. 20-26-11-32(j)shall be included in the calculation of the number of school days that a student has been suspended.

No transfer student shall be accepted for enrollment for athletic reasons.

Transfer students may be charged transfer tuition according to Board Policy 6150.

I.C. 20-18-2-11 (legal settlement defined)
I.C. 20-33-2-12 (transfer to another accredited or non-accredited school)
I.C. 20-33-8-17 (expulsion for lack of legal settlement)
I.C. 20-26-11-1 (residence defined)
I.C. 20-26-11-2.5 (divorced parent election)
I.C. 20-26-11-6(e) (option to not charge transfer tuition)
I.C. 20-26-11-6.5 (children of school employees)
I.C. 20-26-11-6.7 (nonpublic school students)
I.C. 20-26-11-32 (lottery selection of student transfer requests, HEA 1381 – 2013;
SEA 108 - 2017)
I.C. 20-26-11-33 (non-transfer student attending alternative education program)
Plyer v. Doe, 457 U.S. 202 (1982) (State Statute denying free public education to
illegal immigrants violated the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth
Divorced Parents Agreement:
Third Party Agreement:

Revised 8/7/01
Revised 11/6/01
Revised 2/1/05
Revised 12/21/05
Revised 12/5/06
Revised 12/19/06
Revised 12/16/08
Revised 11/1/11
Revised 3/4/14
Revised 5/6/14
Revised 1/6/15
Revised 3/1/16
Revised 2/21/17
Revised 9/19/17

© Neola 2017